RE: More Than You'd Ever Want To Know / RE: (TV) Complete /TV's management Spanish TV show

Re the headline: Indeed! I started to read -- it just went on and on; I
started to scroll down -- it just went on and on! I finally wondered what a
psychologist would say about this -- probably that Mr Leo Casey should get
himself a nice outdoors hobby, like golf, to get rid of his obsessiveness with
a half-obscure pop orchestra!

Recently, apropos Hell's memoir, I for one was surprised to read that one of
the reporters who talked to the author tried to get a word from Verlaine's
management regarding all the negative things Hell wrote about his former
band-mate, and the management declined to comment. Verlaine's got a manager or
management at all nowadays? I thought that considering the very low output in
records and tours that perhaps Verlaine handles his business himself these
days. If not, who does? Previously it was John Telfer -- it might still be
him, although his webpage http://www.johntelfer.net/ hasn't been updated in 6
years, and I do wonder if it could be possible that Verlaine and Lloyd share
the same management. Then there's Primaray Talent
http://www.primarytalent.com/tom-verlaine/ which also lists both Verlaine and
Television as their clients -- although Television's not on their touring
schedule, even though they're on the road in Latin America and Asia this
spring. Isn't that a little odd?

Leif J, Sweden

> From: LeoCasey@comcast.net
> To: tv@obbard.com
> Subject: More Than You'd Ever Want To Know / RE: (TV) Complete Spanish  TV
show
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:22:23 -0400
>
> Leif,
>
> This was tree-ed on the other List (Television-Group) as part of a 2-DVD
> collection of live Television performances.
>
> Leo
>
> PS:  See (a) below for more details.
>
> Television/Tom Verlaine, Trying To Tell A Vision, Video Anthology
> Volume II, From The Years 1984, 1986, 1987, 1992, And 2002DVD3  [Received
> from CA on October 5, 2005, and on January 3, 2007.]

> a) Tom Verlaine, September 25, 1984, Live On La Edad de Oro,
tv-Broadcast,
> TVE2, Estudio-2, Prado del Rey, Madrid, Spain:  Glory (0:00 - 2:59.9:
> 2:59.9, + 10.9 applause & T.V.: Gracias.. + 8.1 sec. T.V.: This is a
> little piece called Miss Emily from the [unintelligible] she lives..
> Total: 3:18.9) / Miss Emily (1.1 sec. silence, 1.1 - 6:33.5: 6:32.4, + 14.0
> sec. applause & tuning-up) (extraordinarily rare; there exist only two live
> recordings!) / Red Leaves (1.5 sec. silence, 1.5 - 2:50.0: 2:48.5, + 11.4
> sec. applause) (rare) / Rotation (0.2 sec. silence, 0.2 - 4:12.7: 4:12.5, +
> 16.0 sec. applause & tuning-up) / Souvenir From A Dream* (0.8 sec. silence,
> 0.8 - 4:10.6: 4:09.8, + 6.2 sec. applause) / Penetration (1.5 sec. silence,
> 1.5 - 5:02.7: 5:01.2, + 29.4 sec. applause, band intros & tuning-
> up)  [exceptional musicianship by all] / Dissolve-Reveal (1.5 sec. T.V.:
> This is called  un  Dissolve., 1.5 - 5:20.9: 5:19.4, + 22.3 sec.
> applause & tuning-up) / Kingdom Come (2.0 sec. silence, 2.0 - 3:35.1:
> 3:33.1, + 19.6 sec. applause & tuning-up) / Excerpt From 41 Monologuesv2
> (aka I Am Daylight) (2.6 sec. silence, 2.6 - 2:27.9: 2:25.3) (very, very
> rare)/Swim (2:27.9 - 5:54.9: 3:29.6)/spooky transition (0:45.4)/Clear It
> Away (5:07.7, 5:09.4: T.V.: Good Night.., from 5:07.7 is  56.7 sec. of
> long applause & repeated shouts of Toma!, Toma!, Toma!, and loud
> whistling; then 43 sec. of tuning-up after band returns to stage) / Encore:
> Marquee Moon (2.4 sec. tuning-up, 2.4 - 12:42.0: 12:39.6 includes ~6 - 7
> sec. of the lingering and quite audible, and wonderfully long-lasting
> reverberation/resonance in the room (i.e., in the tv-studio)! + 15.9 sec.
> raucous applause) [short but spectacular! Less is more? Some of Verlaines
> guitar playing here is very reminiscent of that of a jazz guitarist]
> Concert:  63:31.5
>
> Note:  None of the 15 minute interview Verlaine gave on September 25, 1984
> to tv-host, Paloma Chamorro, is included on this DVD3.
>
> La Edad de Oro (The Golden Age) was [is?] the name of a television-show
> in Spain, on which performers from Spain and other countries performed live
> in front of a studio audience.  The female host of La Edad de Oro,
> Senorita Paloma Chamorro, gives a 1 minute and 54 second introduction to
Tom
> (she has a gigantic Afro, and is sitting on the side of the
stageactually
> its more like a daisand is surrounded by young teenagers). According
> to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0569170/fullcredits#cast Paloma Chamorro
also
> directed this particular show!
>
> Tom and the band perform on a stage in relative darkness except for arrays
> of colored stage lights, although sometimes a white spotlight is used when
> television camera zooms in on Tom.  It is a small tv-studio audience
> of about 120.  Three or four separate tv cameras are usedwith many
close-up
> shots of Toms face, or his fingers when playing guitar.  During Kingdom
> Come, the songs lyrics are superimposed on the tv- screen and scroll-by
> as he sings.  Each songs title is identified by credits during its
> performance.  Tom wears a gigantic black beret,
> black shirt, black pants, and black boots.  He looks like a volunteer from
> the International Brigade (who supported
> the Republicans in Spain against Francos Nationalists in Spains Civil
War.
> The Carried Away Seed Details and
> The Wonder both  read, Spanish-tv concert 1985[sic]..
>
> Leo gives this performance a 10, the audio a 9, but the video imagery
> only a 5 or a 6.
>
> Note:  A video recording of  this same Madrid tv-broadcast also appears on

> The Stolen Files_7, Tom Verlaine, September 25, 1984, Live On La Edad de
> Oro, tv-Broadcast, TVE2, Estudio-2, Prado del Rey, Madrid, Spain
> (Concert And tv-Interview3)From Stolen Original Master tv-Broadcast
> TapesBest Quality VersionDVD4.  It has vastly superior video quality
> (i.e., Leo gives the video image quality of the DVD, The Stolen Files_7,
> September 25, 1984, a 9.5 or a 10!).
>
> The entire September 25, 1984 show can also be found on YouTube at:
> http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E5788181CB47646Ealbeit its video
> and audio quality is inferior to the above DVD3 version (and the  DVD4
> version whose Listing appears later in this Catalogue ).
>
> b)  Promotional Video, 1986:  A Town Called Walker (3:25.5, but music,
> itself, is only 3:20).  The first 5.5 seconds of promo-video is a silent
> cartoon of Tom thumbing through the pages of a scrapbook; this scrapbook is
> featured prominently in the rest of the video, as well as many shots of Tom
> dressed in black, wool  pea-coat and black beret.  During the final ~11
> seconds with the music still  playing an aphorism of the German author,
> Rudolph Claudius,  (possibly one of Toms favorites?) scrolls up the
screen,
> first in its original German, and then an English translation:  The energy
> in the world is constant; the entropy in the world endeavors to increase..
>

> On a scale of from 1 to 10, Leo gives the image quality of the video a
> rating of a 7 to a 7.5, and the sound a 7.5 to an 8. This
> promo-video also appears on June  g d, 1990, MTV Promotional Interview7
> With Solo Acoustic7 Performances Of Stalingrad And Ancient Egypt In
> MTV-Studio; Plus Richard Lloyd And Band, November 14, 1985, Performing
> Soldier Blue And Field Of Fire, Gothenberg, Sweden, Later Broadcasted
On
> Swedish Public-tv, Stockholm, SwedenDVD5, whose Listing appears later in
> this Catalogue. This promo-video of  A Town
> Called Walker does not exist on YouTube.
>
> c)  From The Old Grey Whistle Test (OGWT), BBC-4, tv-Show, London, April
> 1978:  Foxhole (cuts, only 1:25.5!, 1:29.5 with emcees intro)  This,
> however, is an edited and truncated version of the original
> April 1978 performance of Foxhole.  It begins with an intro lasting only
> ~4 seconds by a slick-talking, woman-emcee (who has short, blonde hair and
> is dressed in a black and white blouse) from the BBCl-4  tv-Show, The
> Tube, London. This April 1978 OGWT footage was played back on February 13,
> 1987 on The Tube as a way of introducing Verlaines February 13, 1987
> performance; the February 13, 1987 performance itself is listed in (d)
> below.  She says in her very short intro,  ... [this OGWT video is] from
> their last year together, 1978, Foxhole..  Superimposed over the video
> for a few seconds while the band plays are the words,  ... from 1978, the
> bands last year..  Note:  When this version of Foxhole ends, it is
> immediately followed by ~7 seconds of the same emcee talking inanely about
> some other band, followed by a 1-sec. video glitch.  The complete version
> (i.e., 4:07) of the OGWT video of Foxhole is on Television/Tom Verlaine,
> Trying To Tell A Vision, Video Anthology  Volume I, From The Years 1974,
> 1975, 1978, 1982, And 1984DVD2 , which is the previous Listing.
>
> Note: The 16th is the best guess as Television played Londons Hammersmith
> Odeon on April 16 and 17. Leo gives the image quality a rating of a 6 to a
> 7, and gives the audio quality a rating of an 8 to an 8.5.  There is  no
> video of this shortened and emcee-introduced version of Foxhole on
> YouTube.
>
> d)  From The Tube, Channel-4 tv-Show, London, February 13, 1987:  A Town
> Called Walker (2:57: music + 6 sec. acapella-ending, 2:51 just music, 3:04
> with emcee intro) (extraordinarily rare; there exists only three live
> recordings!)/1.6 sec. transition of drum sticks clicking together/Bomb
> (5:39.4 = 5:38.4 just music + 1 sec. acapella ending)/10.3 sec. audience
> applause; Grand total: 8:53.6 (with emcee-intro). This is the very first
> appearance for these two songs. The same slick-talking  woman-emcee (who
has
> the exact same short, blonde hair and is dressed in the exact same black &
> white blouse as in (c) above) says in her brief 7-second intro, Tom
> Verlaine with two tracks from his soon-to-be-released album, Flash Light,
> backed by members of Love And Money..  These were performed on a real
stage
> before a relatively large tv-studio audience.  The band stops A Town
Called

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TOM+VERLAINE&suggested_categorie
> [...]
>

> Television/Tom Verlaine, Trying To Tell A Vision, Video Anthology
Volume
> I, From The Years 1974, 1975, 1978, 1982, And 1984DVD2

entry
> for Vol. II details).  Leo bought his first copy of this DVD on e-bay for
> $25 in September 2005.  Carried Away (tree) : a  set of two DVDs the first
> of which contained the exact same material that is on Television/Tom
> Verlaine, Trying To Tell A Vision, Video Anthology  Volume I,  From The
> Years 1974, 1975, 1978, 1982, And 1984DVD2 .  The Carried Away set of two
> DVDs goes by the name,  Trying To Television (2 DVDs Anthology): Volume
> (1974 - 1984), Adventure Disc DVD, ADVD 001, 2005; And Volume II (1984 -
> 2001), Adventure Disc DVD, ADVD 002, 2005.
>
> Theres quite a range in quality of  the video image and the audio on this
> DVD; see more details in (a) through (e) below. The Wonder doesnt rate
this
> DVDs video quality or audio quality. Leo compared the quality of the image
> and the sound [when not jumping, skipping, or freezing-up] on all three of
> the above remaining copies; the quality appears to be identical on all
> three. The length of the DVD is the same for all three copies:  93
> minutes.{Rov: _}
>
> This Volume I DVD contains the following:
>
> a)  From Terry Orks Loft Rehearsal, Q, r s, 1974 (Month And Day(s)
> Unknown):
> b)  From The Film Blank Generation, 1975, CBGB, NYC:  The filmmakers Ivan
> Kral and Amos Poe edited into the film post facto a  soundtrack consisting
> of snippets of Little Johnny Jewel/ O Mi Amore (~60
> seconds)/Little Johnny Jewel; this was done since the original footage
did
> not contain  the audio when Televisions songs were performed in the film.
> The short  piece of the film that is on the DVD, Trying To Tell
> A Vision - Vol. I ,  is only 4:50.5.  The video image quality of the
> performances of Little Johnny Jewel/O Mi Amore/Little Johnny Jewel is
> mediocre; Leo rates it at about a 5.
>
> c)  From The Old Grey Whistle Test (OGWT), BBC-4, tv-Show, April 16,
1978:
> Foxhole (4:17, of which 10 seconds is silent video of the band before and
> after the song; so, 4:07).  Russ Van Rooy  wrote, I  think you are going
> love it too!  Its certainly the most amazing rock performance video that
> Ive seen in a long time. Great close-ups of Tom on the fret-board, during
> solos, for gods sake!  Hear the way those strings are being bent.  You can
> actually see the vibrato coming off those strings.  It makes me want to get
> a Fender Jazzmaster all the more so..   (According to BitTorrent #142806
on
> DIME,  The Unreleased Old Grey Whistle Test, Vol. 7, 1974 - 2007, PAL
> DVD, the date is May 16, 1978; however, Televisions last concert date in
> Europe in 1978 was on April 17 at the Hammersmith Odeon, London.)  Note:
An
> incomplete, edited  version (1:25.5), of the OGWT video of Foxhole is on
> Television/Tom Verlaine, Trying To Tell A Vision, Video Anthology
Volume
> II, From The Years 1984, 1986, 1987, 1992, And 2002DVD3 , which is the
next
> Listing in this Catalogue.
>
> Note 1: The 16th is the best guess as Television played Londons
Hammersmith
> Odeon on April 16 and 17.
>
> d)  Promotional Videos, 1982:  Words From The Front (3:57)/Clear It
Away
> (4:11).  The Words From The Front video is a very strange (bad strange)
> video with a young and uncomfortable looking Tom. The promo-video for
Words