Re: (TV) Not so familiar Verlaine favourites

I'll corroborate what Amilcar says re. Richard Thompson, as I
recall the
interview where Tom commented on Richard Thompson, saying he
liked his Fender
sound but didn't like Thompson's playing style. I tried
 to locate the article
today to cite it, but couldn't find it easily. Of
 course,  there's lots more
going on with Fairport Convention than just
Thompson's guitar that Tom could
like.

I'd not heard  the excellent "A Sailor's Life" before. Thanks to Glen
for the YT link. I might not have noticed similarities to M.M. without them
being pointed out.
I hear echoes of the song Marquee Moon in a number of Sonic
Youth songs, "Rain on Tin" being just one. And Thurston has described
Television as being "elemental" to SY's sound, by which I guess he means
there's an element of Television influence.

Tom supposedly named Mazzy Star
as a band he likes. Knowing I'm a Mazzy Star fan, Deb once pointed out a post
to me from the MM List archives from some years back she noticed where someone
had posted that Tom "likes Joy Division & Mazzy Star." I'd read  an interview
where Tom said He likes "Joy Division's stuff with that singer, before he took
the cure". So I knew that was accurate, but the Mazzy Star reference was new.
Does anyone else here recall Tom citing Mazzy Star as fave band, I wonder? If
it's true, I'll guess Tom might like the band for similar reasons he said he
likes The Pretenders, i.e.'cause Chrissie Hynde's "a good singer" & "there's a
melodic gift there".  Maybe Tom thinks, as I do, Mazzy's singer, Hope
Sandoval, has a rare talent for writing & delivering emotive melodies. Perhaps
Tom's a McGarrigle Sisters fan for similar reasons.
-Bob