 De: Glenn Cooper
<glennwaynecooper@gmail.com>
Para: tv@obbard.com
Enviado: miircoles, 24 de
abril de 2013 20:36
Asunto: Re: (TV) TV last night  ( warning : long post  )
Wonderful review, AA! I am very excited that you taped the show and
can't
wait to hear it.

"The Fire"? Get out of here! Is this true?

Glenn C.

On
25/04/2013 2:47 AM, amilcar amarante wrote:
> last night i finally got to see
Television ...and it was even better than i
> tought it would be !
> after a
long trip ,my two brothers ,my gf ,a friend and
> i arrived pretty early to
the venue ,it `s a really nice place ,i think it
> holds about a thousand
people ,perhaps more,and it was pretty full ,we were
> front row ,just a tad
to the left ,right in line with Tom`s amp ...
> it
> surprised me to hear the
bells recording at the intro ,just like in Tom's
> eigthies tours ,the crowd
went nuts when the courtains opened , singing and
> shouting endlessly ,and
really pissing me off ...

> the band seemed to me in
> high spirits ,Tom
smiling shyly and seeming amused by the people reaction
> ...it feels 100%
Television ,as oposed to being Tom`s band ...i saw every
> aspect of the band
magnified and enriched ...Fred anchoring the band solidly
> ,with groove
,timing and delivering all the classic arrangments fluidly ...
> Billy played
a lot the side of the floor tom and answering every guitar
> excursion with
enigmatic fills ...
> Jimmy duplicated all of Richard`s signature
> lines
easily ,and took solos in "1880" ,"psychotic reaction" and even the
> Lloyd
one in "m.moon " note for note ,the new stuff was all very busy two
> guitars
stuff ,being local , Jimmy asked the people to sing the chorus in the
> new
one "shabby chubby chunka "(????)  ,but he fucked it somehow ,singing in
> the
wrong places ,you have to see Fred faces ...that was a really odd tune

,the other new one came out a lot better ,it has a dueling guitars thing

going on ,pretty cool ...
> from the start Tom played at the top of his game
,he
> is in total control of his instrument ,and his level of emotion
,expresiveness
> i think is something very few musicians can achieve ,Coltrane
,Miles ,the
> electric Richard Thompson came to mind ...his solos were fully
formed
> ,song-like ,not meandaring nonstop playing ,i think he only played a
wrong
> note in " Glory " ,the rest was precise and engaging ,by the way he
looked
> pretty engaged too ...the slide in "persia " was no bullshit
,easterny
> micro-tonalism ...
> the combination of the sitar like phrasing
,with the
> cello-like vibrato and the sheer electricity of his Danelectro
pickups trough
> the AC-30 Vox was EXPLOSIVE ...even when he ventured in weird
noises beyond
> notes ,he came back with total musical sense ..he did ALL his
moves ,the
> swelling notes ,the high harmonics ,i especially liked when he
sustained an
> open string against fretted ones (sorry for the guitar nerd-ism
) with total
> control ,i swear he played better than on records ,and really
focused ...
> he
> singed mostly in an a low volume with much of his weird
,odd moments ,and
> improvised lyrics ... he was making funny faces almost
like a little child ..
> he only used a pedal ,besides the tuner, a distortion
unit made here for Jimmy
> by Sabbadius FX ,only to boost solos a little ...

Rip used his usual rig ,the
> blonde strat trough the Singletone head and
cabinet ,i only heared a effect in
> "persia" ,an eerie slapback delay ,he
broke his treble E string during that
> Fred bass is a miss-matched
parts Fender ,not so great looking...

> the
> setlist :
> 1-intro-prove it

2-1880 or so
> 3-the fire
> 4-glory
> 5-ljj
> 6-shabby
> chubby chunka (????)
> 7-persia
> 8-venus
> 9-a new one ???????
> 10-the sea
> 11-marquee moon

12-psychotic reaction (encore )

> the ending was somehow
> chaotic and
akward ,after "psychotic r " ,jimmy was trying to convince Tom to
> do
"Satisfaction" ,but he didn`t want to play no more ,so he reached for the

bass amp and and sunk every knob to zero with a single stroke ,i think it was
> an unnecessary gesture ,he retired to the side of the stage colliding with

Billy ,who was coming to the front to do a formal good bye to the audience

,somehow Fred got caught in the middle of that ,with his bass still around

his neck ... finally Billy got to the mike and said a few words ,visibly

touched ...the courtains closed but the people can`t leave ,hopelessly yelling
> for another ...
> as you can see it was a big deal to me ,goose bumps ,teary
> eyes and all ....
>
> we took a lot of photos ,and more important ,recorded
it
> all ! ...i`ll let you know when i`ll have it ready for you guys !

AMILCAR