(TV) mazzy star's david roback names Tom V. as a fave guitarist

A while back I brought up the topic of Mazzy Star at the MM/TV list
& a b
unch of people here turned out to be fans of the band &/or other Paisley Un
derground  bands, including tape meister Scott Simpson
who made some
 memorable recordings at some 1990s Mazzy Star shows. So, I thought this
bit of trivia might  be
 of interest to some here.

A recent Mazz
y Star interview in Interview mag., Sept. 23, 2013
http://tinyurl.com/ohk
cmqv
quotes the band's David Roback as naming Tom Verlaine
& Syd Barret
t as fave guitarists when the interviewer asks him to name some.

(QUOT
E):
" INTERVIEWER: Was there a particular guitar-centered group or artist
 that
made you realize that potential? I guess I am wondering what your "
this is
it" moment was with guitar music.

ROBACK: You mean live, or
on record?

INTERVIEWER: Yeah, let's say live.

ROBACK: Oh, there a
re so many things. So many great guitar players.
Tom Verlaine is amazi
ng, I saw him live. I really loved his style. Syd Barrett, too."

-Some
 years back Tom's ex-gf  "SecretX" made a post to the MM/TV list naming J
oy Division
& Mazzy Star as bands Tom liked (Deb kindly brought this a
rchived post to my attention). Being both a TV & Mazzy fan I was pleased to
 learn this factoid.
Now I'm pleased to know Roback's also a big fan of T
om. Their music isn't exactly similar, but maybe
 it's something like a
 "same wavelength" thing!
-Bob