RE: (TV) 2nd Best Verlaine Interview Ever [in Australia!]

Phil, I believe that both issues have been covered before. That Verlaine
never got any money from the compilation/live disc has been discussed sever
al times when he was asked about his relationship with record companies,
and this seems to be THE worst experience he's had over the years. Most rec
ently, we got to read about it in that (I think) two part interview spect
acle a year ago or so, that one some of us on the list tried to make sens
e of.

About the Bowie session, my recollection is that Bowie thought it would b
e a good idea to bring in Verlaine to play on "Kingdom Come", as he had c
omposed it. Then Verlaine became happy as a child to be in a big, expensi
ve studio with plenty of recording time, and wanted to try all the equipm
ent. As he fooled around with amps and guitars, Bowie became tired of it
all, threw him out and hired Robert Fripp instead.

Although, as a curious addition to this: I also remember a Swedish newspa
per interview from the 80's where Verlaine implied that his guitar playing
on the cover version was indeed present, but that it was buried under Fri
pp's.

Leif J, Prague