(TV) Lee Ranaldo’s (Sonic Youth) all-time favourite guitarists

Guess who makes his list?

Tom Verlaine
“I grew up playing guitar but at a certain point around the mid-1970
s, music got pretty fat and bloated. All the arena rock stuff was something I
 didn’t relate to and I tuned out of music for a while. But the firs
t Television record was one that knocked me out and made me want to go back t
o playing and being in a band again. I felt like he synthesised so many diff
erent styles, like the San Francisco psychedelic scene to jazz influences li
ke John Coltrane. Sometime, it was like he was trying to play sax solos on t
he guitar.”

http://www.redbull.com/en/music/stories/1331629075408/lee-ranaldo%E2%80%99s-
all-time-favourite-guitarists

Dave