(TV) Re: (TV) Lee Ranaldo’s (Sonic Youth) all-time favourite guitarists

Thanks for that link. No, not surprising news. No doubt
Thurston too, li
ke Lee, started playing a Jazzmaster
after seeing/hearing Tom play one.
Thurston's said he
was a big Television fan. In some interview he tells
an
 amusing anecdote about how Tom used to read music
 mags a
t street magazine vendors. He wouldn't buy,
 he'd just stand there &
 read. Thurston said he'd spy
on Tom to see what articles/bands Tom was
reading
 about, so Thurston could use them as topics of
 conv
ersation to try to bring up with Tom later.
Thurston's also said "Televi
sion is elemental" to
SY's sound, by which I guess he means there's an

element of Television in SY. I can hear it. I hear
echoes of the song
 "Marquee Moon", especially,
on a bunch of SY songs, "Rain on Tin", bein
g just
 one. I saw Lee Ranaldo & the Dust live last month,
 good show. He seems to use reverb-like effect
 on his guitar a lot
when playing live, something
I don't think SY used so much. Maybe Lee's
wanting
 to differentiate his solo sound from SY partly by
adding
 more reverb.

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:03:47 PM, D