Re: (TV) 50 most NYC albums ever

>From my friend:

>> No Dion?
>> No David Peel and the Lower East Side?
>> No Fugs?
>> No Blues Project?
>> Indeed, no Luna?

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 8:24 AM, TMiller <BlackMonk@msn.com> wrote:
>
> The city still has its moments, and the list isn't all bad, but it could d
o with a sense of history that isn't New York Hipster. I was pleasantly surp
rised to see Simon and Garfunkle made the cut (I'm not a huge fan and I prob
ably would have gone with their first album, but this was a legit choice. An
y of their albums would have been.),  but no Doo Wop, Girl Group, Dave Van R
onk, or Lovin' Spoonful? I know that showing off that you've heard some Jazz
 and Latin music is cooler than referencing 50 and 60 year-old pop hits, but
, for instance, "Be My Baby" is one of the most New York sounding records ev
er made. You can't really get more New York than naming your group after a s
treet in the Bronx or having the first line of your song "I met him at the c
andy store," either.

> I'm not sure the thing that makes Marquee Moon a New York record is the ly
rical subject matter, but the album belongs there for whatever reason.