Re: (TV) Stone Pony

A couple of reactions after the Irving Plaza show... The Irving Plaza show was very good, though not the best show I have seen them play this year. The best show would have been their first night at Rough Trade. I also saw them at the Light Show in that NYU venue, which was actually outstanding for an all instrumental show.

Having seen them play live 5 times with Jimmy instead of Richard (both nights at Rough Trade, opening for Arcade Fire, the Light Show and Irving Plaza), I have to agree with those who feel lucky to see them play at all. Jimmy's style is so different from Tom that they can actually play together. I don't have any particular insight into why Richard is not playing with the rest of the band anymore, but I go to see a band for the music - artists don't have to be your friends, they don't have to be nice or decent human beings to each other. Either the music stands on its own or it doesn't, at this point, in its current line-up, Television is still one of the most exciting bands to see live, period.

The Irving Plaza show had some technical problems, an amp buzzed all night and the lighting was apparently blinding the musicians. Tom's left hand cramped out a lot, the guitar part of MM did sound off to me. Some of us really wanted Tom to stop (so he would not hurt his hand even more) - so I am delighted that the Philly show went without problem.

Richard does his own thing, he did an acoustic set last year - I would love to see him play more - and for all of those who complain about Richard not being in the band anymore (not on this mailing list, I assume everyone on this list would go to see Richard play his solo stuff), well, they should just go see Richard more when he does his own thing.

Yes, they technically play music from 40 years ago, but then they play the music in different ways each time I have heard them play. Classical musicians play music that is 100's year-old all the times (and not even stuff they write) - I don't think that anyone complain about that, it is kind of besides the point (music is not just a succession of sounds).