Re: (TV) Television

I love "Days", but wouldn't REM (who cast a big net for influences - check o
ut their possible first-ever set list at
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2010/04/05/rem-30th-anniversary-concert-st-
marys-church-athens-georgia/) likely cite "See No Evil" as their favorite Te
levision song? They covered it, after all (as did the dB's). In fact, off th
e top of my head, I can't think of any covers of "Days" by anyone... (And to
 my ears, it's "Glory", not "Days", that predicts the 80s indie sound of ear
ly REM).

Dennis, don't leave the list! It would be a bad way to start the new year. W
orse, I'd miss you. :)

Sent from my mobile device

> On Dec 31, 2014, at 1:05 AM, Jay Pontrelli <jpontrelli44@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope nobody around here misunderstands my feelings about the band.
>
> Truth be told it's A story of squandered genius and verlaines insane ego
>
> Seriously ask yourself which song on the first two albums was the most inf
luential song had the greatest impact?  Was it Tom's stones influenced songs
?

> No it was a modest song called days
>
> The blueprint of REM's first two if not three albums very influential to t
he go-betweens and extremely influential across-the-board going to the 80s a
nd forward for that type of music

> Richard is the member of the band who anticipated and influenced a good po
rtion of the 80s--not Tom

> I do not think that I am giving away any confidences to say that I spoke t
o Richard and he's told me that he strongly pushed for television to tour up
 and down the East Coast in 78 and Tom pushed back

> The reason I have a problem with Verlane is because I've met many remains i
n my life and they're not fun people to be around extremely controlling peop
le always hurt those who are around them

> I understand why Billy and Fred and even rip are willing to bite their ton
gue's because they probably don't have a lot of money and this is a way to m
ake a little bit of money
> but they are slaves to a crazy controlling person who hasn't really shared
 much of his genius with us in 30 years

> The funny thing is that when you see these guys play --whether it was Lloy
d back in the 90s or the early 2000's or rip now, you realize that most of t
he solos were Richards

> In my opinion the tragedy of television is that Richard was such a fucking
 mess back then that he could rally nobody behind him, and Tom is such a psy
chological manipulative person that he's always had Billy and Fred on his si
de

> I'm not saying that Richard hasn't been the author of his own destruction b
ecause he has and I've seen him in person acting like a nut

> all I'm saying is that if Tom had not been such an ego maniac control frea
k and had opened his mind television could've been huge

> And as talented as rip is, and he is,I've seen enough television shows and
 watched enough YouTube videos to see that he does not bring out the best of
 Verlaine like Richard did