Re: (TV) Television

On 12/31/2014 12:47 PM, leif joley wrote:
Also surprised to read the claim that Verlaine turned the group into a "mon
ey-spinner".  It's possible that Television has made good money during this
  year, possibly also last year, possibly next year too, but it can't
be a realistic thought that they can continue doing what they do now, wit
h *nothing* new to offer. I doubt that there will be audiences big enough t
o keep this listless thing going. And what's the point, artistically? I r
emember an interview where Verlaine slated young bands for having no urge o
ther than being famous and making money. What's his own urge today? It shou
ld be easy for everyone to understand Lloyd's frustration with the whole si
tuation, and why he finally abandoned the group. It isn't as easy to unde
rstand Verlaine's intentions neither those days in the mid-00s nor these da
ys. A waste of talent it surely is -- but it may be as simple as this: he h
as lost his ability to create new melodies and lyrics, and is getting by
by fronting a revival band and sometimes earn money as a session musician.

Not many musicians are as creative at their age as they were in their 20s. Both Verlaine and Lloyd have released only two studio albums of original material in the 21st century.

Also surprised by the notion that Lloyd should've "outplayed" Verlaine in s
hows during the 90s and 00s. People must've paid a bit too much attention t
o Lloyd's much more aggressive soloing style, and his much more aggressiv
e rhythm playing when Verlaine was occupied with his singing duties. There
wasn't one Verlaine solo from the records that was handed over to Lloyd. (I
n fact, it was even more Verlaine soloing live, since "1880" live had V
erlaine playing the outro solo.) This puzzles me. As much as I did enjoy th
e powerhouse playing from Lloyd in these performances, it also became app
arent that his playing had lost that fragile, poetical beauty from the 70
s, on both Television album and, especially, his own first LP; I th
ink that his solo albums from in particular the 00s are evidence of this my
  thesis.

Leif J, Sweden

Aggressive, powerhouse playing goes over well live and I don't think Verlaine has ever had much interest in playing like that beyond a few songs. My guess is that's why Lloyd took so many live solos in the 90s.