Re: (TV) End-of-year Review

A *lot* of my listening this past year has been related to the Weekly Beats community--WB members devoted themselves to writing, recording, and uploading a new song each week, and 55 of us (myself included) managed the whole 52.  They're not doing it this year, though, so I'm going to have to do something with my work ethic.  My 2014 output is here, and some even involves guitar playing: http://weeklybeats.com/#/onezero   Other people's work covers a lot of ground, but I'd say dive in on the Music page and see where it takes you.

Other fine records from this year:

Got my mind blown by the drone-metal-via-Arvo Part work of Dama/Libra (ex-SKWM Joel RL Phelps and ex-Burning-Witch G. Stuart Dahlquist).  If this does it for you, get on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKvz2e2TK_Y  (In my estimation, it'll be ten, fifteen years before people get onto this.  Here's your chance.)

Memphis friends The Family Ghost unfurled their dense, devastating chronicle _No Dreams_: http://thefamilyghost.bandcamp.com  Check it out if you want to hear naked emotions wrapped in layers of noise and guitars. And who doesn't?

I quite enjoyed the new Aphex Twin release Syro--very satisfying, friendly work.  Very nice that the XMAS_EVE track (first heard in Metz in 2010) is finally official without an audience dude screaming over it.

If you dig your Eno, Jim-O('Rourke) and Editions Mego, you should check out Chris Herbert's ambient journey _Constants_.  Gorgeous snippets intercepted via scrambled radio broadcasts to your skull.  http://emporium.room40.org/products/532246-chris-herbert-constants

Company generosity had me ordering box set reissues from this year: Bedhead, the Velvet Underground's s/t super-deluxe, and Pauline Oliveros's _Reverberations_ box set. Still digesting, but I'm glad I got them.

Not released this year, but everyone ought to get familiar with this, the shorts 12-minute song I know: http://theseknottylines.bandcamp.com/track/turn-on-the-summer

Best 2015 wishes to yinz all.

-M

On Jan 2, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Keith Allison <keith@thewonder.co.uk> wrote:

> As the people in this group all have impeccable taste I was wondering, looking back on 2014, what are the best things you heard which came out last year?

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com | http://onezeromusic.com | http://snwv.bandcamp.com