Re: (TV) End-of-year Review / Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:32:36 -0500
"Leo Casey" <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> 2. Bryan Ferry: "Avonmore": 'Soldier of Fortune', A; 'A Special Kind of
> Guy': B+; 'Midnight Train': F-; ''Send In The Clowns': D-; 'Johnny & Mary':
> D+;  So, "Avonmore" gets a  C- !

I'd not heard of Ferry releasing a new album, this must be why.  Sounds like
there are some real turkeys on it.

> Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie; however, I think Jay, as penance,
> should make an analogue tape of 'Days', play/listen to it backwards, and let
> us all know if it sounds like The Byrds' 'Mr. Tambourine Man'.

No need to revert to 1966 Abbey Road tech - it's simple to flip around a
digital sample!  Here's the first 13 seconds of Days flipped around.  It's
pretty darn close to how I'd play the intro to Mr Tambourine Man.
    http://zappa.brainiac.com/days-rev.mp3

> Also: Name the B-side of a single by The Byrds that Tom especially liked.

I remember this from the quiz on the Wonder site, plus I'm a big Gene
Clark fan.  It's "She Don't Care About Time" in which McGuinn borrows
the guitar solo from Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and rips off
himself ripping off Bach again for the opening, which is very similar
to Mr Tambourine Man.