(TV) End-of-year Review / Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

With apologies to those who belong to both the MM and the Television-Group
Mailing Lists.

Some of my musical purchases in 2014 (but many originally came out
pre-2014):

In Alphabetical Order:

1. David Bennett Cohen: "Reid Tre And DBC": B+
The original organist/keyboardist in Country Joe And The Fish. In addition
to working with the Blues Project, Mick Taylor, Tim Hardin, Jimi Hendrix,
Johnny Winter, Huey Lewis, Michael Bloomfield, and Bob Weir in the years to
follow, David Bennett Cohen also enjoys a solo career.

2. Bryan Ferry: "Avonmore": 'Soldier of Fortune', A; 'A Special Kind of
Guy': B+; 'Midnight Train': F-; ''Send In The Clowns': D-; 'Johnny & Mary':
D+;  So, "Avonmore" gets a  C- !

3. Franz Ferdinand: "You Could  Have It So Much Better": B -

4. Philip Glass: "Bowie, Eno + Glass: Heroes Symphony / Low Symphony
("Bowie, Eno + Glass): A-

5, David Gray: "Mutineers":  D

6. Holy Modal Rounders: "Good Taste Is Timeless": A+

7. James Iha: "Look To The Sky" (Verlaine guest guitarist): C+

8. The Kinks:  "Muswell Hillbillies": A
Deluxe reissue includes a remastered version of the album, fleshed out with
bonus tracks, alternate versions, and an accompanying DVD that shows the
band on the BBC in 1972.

9. Luna: "Tell Me Do You Miss Me", DVD, Documentary on Luna: B+

10. Music from the Film "Wise Blood" (J. Huston; 1979), The Criterion
Collection: A

11. Ann Peebles: "I Can't Stand The Rain": B+

12. Max Steiner's 1948 soundtrack to "The Treasure of The Sierra Madre" (H.
Bogart, W.  Huston, T. Holt, & J. Huston) Special Edition, Blu-ray DVD: B+

13. Dean Wareham: "Dean Wareham": A

14. Yo La Tengo: Deluxe reissue of 1993's "Painful", titled "Extra Painful",
complete with demos and live takes.: B+

Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie; however, I think Jay, as penance,
should make an analogue tape of 'Days', play/listen to it backwards, and let
us all know if it sounds like The Byrds' 'Mr. Tambourine Man'.

Also: Name the B-side of a single by The Byrds that Tom especially liked.

     Leo

Keith wrote:
As the people in this group all have impeccable taste I was wondering,
looking back on 2014, what are the best things you heard which came out
last year?

My particular favourites:
The War on Drugs' album "Lost in the Dream" (at the moment seems to be
on a permanent loop) -     terrific feel and sound.
Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band - "Intensity Ghost" - guitar-led
instrumentals, heavily TV-influenced.
Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas' "Other World"
Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters' "Lullaby and... The
Ceaseless Roar" - (Led Zep reunions? no time, this is much more
interesting.)
Scott Walker & Sunn 0))): "Soused" - you either love Scott Walker or you
don't but each release certainly makes you question the relationship.
The Slits' guitarist Viv Albertine's "The Vermilion Border" - really
enjoyed her book and this is a kind of soundtrack.
Lucinda Williams' "Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone"

Best TV-related listen - the recording of the June 3 Alcatraz, Milan,
Italy show that I uploaded to Dime. Excellent sound quality.

Disappointment of the Year -  Bryan Ferry's "Avonmore" - as I said to
Leo, "Why do we keep torturing ourselves with these things just because
of what once was?"

Yours?