(TV) Seattle: Quicky Review

Okay. It was truly grand to see Television last night at Seattle's Moore
Theater. The theater is venerable and dates from 1907. I've seen several
shows in there this past year including The Drive By Truckers and Gillian
Welch. This was the first out and out rock show that I've seen there
however (the other two shows being acoustic).

So we were situated in the cheap seats - the second balcony. This was the
section for black folks back in the day - I kid you not. And the seats are
small and a bit uncomfortable. I did have a pretty good view of the action
at any rate. The sound was not its best unfortunately - a bit muffled
sounding to my ear.

Marquee Moon was played in its entirety though not in album sequence. They
started off, after a minimal Swells, with See No Evil. That was followed by
Elevation, then Prove It. I was pleased to hear Guiding Light and was not
disappointed. Rip played Richard's solos letter perfect! Rip, in fact
played a great deal of the solos it seemed with Tom punctuating each song
with his trademark attacks and staccato runs. Verlaine seemed to be in a
pretty good head space though and talked to the audience probably more than
I've ever seen him before ( this being the fourth time I've had the
privilege of being in his audience.
Marquee Moon came up suddenly and for some reason in an unexpected moment.
Too soon I thought. The audience loved it and howled! It went by much too
fast.

For me - the best song of the night was Torn Curtain - not usually my
favorite but it really knocked me over last night. I can't even really tell
you why - it's those arpeggios and strange key changes.

They did a short encore - well, not that short.They played Persia - now
with lyrics. It was a long and extended version and then ended with - 1880
or so... which i love but thought a strange song for ending the concert. I
would have loved one more song. Conspicuous in absence was Richard and this
made me a little sad.

It went by too fast.  Who knows when they'll be around again. If you have a
chance - go see them.