Re: Tom Verlaine - first two albums reissued on single CD / Tech Q / John Tobler must die!

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:50:20 -0500
"Leo Casey" <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> The cardboard sleeve/jacket that encases the jewel box (& cd's accompanying
> booklet with lyrics & notes) both say:
>
> "AAD. Mastered In Hi-Definition. Audiophile Recording from the Original
> Master in 2016 by Andrew Thompson of Sound Performance, London.".
>
> Does this imply that he took the (correct) mix of the original 1979 analogue
> master tape, and converted/digitalized it to say 96 k samples per sec. with
> each sample equal to 24 bits, and then subsequently converted this to 44.1 k
> Hz, 16 bits (i.e., 'Red Book' cd)? I.E., does Mastered In Hi-Definition
> imply an initial conversion to 96 k Hz 24 bits (or maybe even higher)?

I believe it does.  In audio production, anything 96/24 is considered hi-def.
192/24 is not unheard of for the digitization process these days.  The AAD
indicates that it was an analog source and mix with a digital mastering.

> When I use Trader's Little Helper or Audacity to analyze the cd's tracks,
> both say 44.1k Hz, 16 bits.

CDs are always 44.1/16, since that's the standard, as you note.  You'd need
a different medium to get a higher definition but given the analog history
of the recording, it may or may not make a difference.  It's unfortunate that
we don't get a choice.

Also something to note is that the conversion from 96/24 to 44.1/16 is not
as straightforward as it might seem.  It's another part of the mastering process,
and involves dithering, which actually adds noise to a recording to reduce
distortion of low-amplitude signals.  It's a fascinating and non-intuitive part
of the digital recording and pastering processes.