Re: 2001: Camber Sands vs Shepherd's Bush Empire

Thanks for the quick reply!

On 24/04/2019 13:26, Keith Allison wrote:
On 24/04/2019 12:47, Mike Cross wrote:
efully you guys can help with this...

I'm trying to conclusively identify a Television recording I received back in February 2010. It came to me with this info:

Well, I was at both of those shows and the artwork with the TVCD logo is mine, so I'd say the info on The Wonder is correct. (well I would wouldn't I?)  You may have got the recording of one with the a/w of the other. The sound at Shepherds Bush was much better and I do remember the version of Mr Lee at Shepherds Bush was especially great.

Camber Sands setlist:

Swells, 1880 or So, This Tune, Venus, Beauty Trip, Little Johnny Jewel, See No Evil, Call Mr. Lee, The Rocket, Rhyme, Marquee Moon, Glory

Shepherds Bush:

Swells, 1880 or So, This Tune, Venus, Beauty Trip, Little Johnny Jewel, See No Evil, No Glamour for Willi, Call Mr. Lee, The Rocket, Rhyme, Marquee Moon, Prove It, Glory

If it helps, at Shepherds Bush Verlaine says at one point: "We're really amazed that no-one's called for Richard Hell yet.... what a great crowd..."

and one wit called out for "Jazz Odyssey!" during the opening of The Rocket!

Keith

So, apart from any chat from the crowd or Verlaine, the differences are that Camber Sands doesn't have 'No Glamour For Willi', or 'Prove It' (it's not unusual that bands play shorter sets at a festival). Shepherd's Bush adds 'No Glamour for Willi' before 'Call Mr Lee', and 'Prove It' after 'Glory'.

What I have doesn't match either of those, as I don't have 'Call Mr Lee' at all. I'll listen to the start & end of the tracks to see if I can catch any crowd or Verlaine comments.

On a quick check, I can hear some crowd comments before 'The Rocket', one of which MIGHT be 'jazz odyssey' - it's not clear.

Could what I have be some kind of combo of the the 2 shows? Disc 1 from 1, and disc 2 from the other? The sound quality & volume seem v similar between the 2 discs.

There's a hum which starts a few seconds into 'See No Evil' (d1t7), and continues through the next few tracks. The tone of the hum changes higher at the start of 'Rhyme' (d2t2) and continues through 'Marquee Moon' (d2t3).

Verlaine says something at the end of Marquee Moon... which might be 'Happy Easter from..'

--
 Michael J. Cross    Visit http://michaelcross.me.uk for
 BSFA Magazine Index, Hull SF Group, J Cipollina & M Kurihara Discographies