Re: 2001: Camber Sands vs Shepherd's Bush Empire

This is my second reply to Keith's message...

On 24/04/2019 13:26, Keith Allison wrote:
On 24/04/2019 12:47, Mike Cross wrote:
efully you guys can help with this...

I'm trying to conclusively identify a Television recording I received back in February 2010. It came to me with this info:

If it helps, at Shepherds Bush Verlaine says at one point: "We're really amazed that no-one's called for Richard Hell yet.... what a great crowd..."

and one wit called out for "Jazz Odyssey!" during the opening of The Rocket!

Having skipped through the show, playing loud through headphones, listening to all the song starts & ends, I found some comments from the band:

After '1880 or So':  "Gee", chords, "Takes me a really long time to think up a between song joke... kind of wait for someone out there to yell one"

After 'This Tune':  "'We're just completely amazed that no-one has yelled Richard Hell yet... what a great crowd"

After 'Rhyme': "... take half an hour to tune, Fred Smith is gonna introduce the band"

"Hello, back there Billy Ficca, ???, over there on the Stratocaster is Richard Lloyd, over here on ? guitar is Tom Verlaine"

"On the big BASS guitar Fred Smith"

After 'Marquee Moon': "Happy Easter"

After 'Glory' there's some applause, and then a solo Erik Satie piano piece plays, maybe one of the Gymnopedies.

There's a shouter in the crowd who frequently asks for 'Prove It'.

So I do have Keith's Verlaine quote from the Shepherd's Bush show, and, as Easter Sunday was April 15 in 2001, & TC says "Happy Easter", that's strong evidnece for the recording I have being the Shepherd's Bush show.

If so, then I must ask "What happened to 'Call Mr Lee'?". Especially as it's one of my favourite Television tunes, and Keith said it was a particularly fine version at this show.

On version's of this show that others have, are 'The Rocket / Rhyme' one track, d2t2 (as shown in the original info file) with 'Call Mr Lee' as d2t1? I wonder if someone split the 2 parts of d2t2 and managed to overwrite the original d2t1?

I'd love to get hold of the missing 'Call Mr Lee', please could someone maybe upload it somewhere, eg WeTransfer?

One thing I forgot to say in my first email, is that the quality of the recording is fantastic, one of the best Television recordisngs I've heard.

--
 Michael J. Cross    Visit http://michaelcross.me.uk for
 BSFA Magazine Index, Hull SF Group, J Cipollina & M Kurihara Discographies