(TV) Re: Whatever happened to artist development?

You know, as much as I dislike most of his post -"Hot Rats" work, Frank Zappa
had it nailed when he said there were two things that had truly messed up life
and both of them had three letters.  The second was MBA, since having those
three magic letters on your resume gives you automatic validity in the eyes of
the suits ( who don't know shit from shinola anyway ) and confers the ability
to do what you want even though you don't know what the hell you're doing.
That's why Van Morrison was cut from Warner's - someone crunched some numbers
and decided keeping him on the label was more expensive than cutting him loose
and selling the back catalogue.  Prestige, artistic merit?  They don't count
unless they add up to some kind of profit.  On the plus side, that's why you
also have record labels that shell out mega-millions for, oh, Aerosmith, then
wonder why no one's buying their first release on the brand new label.  Imagine
what would have happened if this frame of mind had been operating when the
Byrds were recording - they would have been canned after "8 Miles High" got
banned.  And imagine some bean counter hearing the tapes of the next Verlaine
effort and saying:  "Gosh, Tom, we like it a lot, but I don't hear a single.
Now we could bring in Britney Spears on this track and overdub some hip-hop
beats..."

Oh, the first three letter thing Frank mentioned was LSD.  He said it turned
hippies into yuppies and therefore was the most dangerous substance on the
planet.

And while I'm at it, RIP, Curtis Mayfield.

Michael