Re: (TV) Verlaine article in Philadelphia Inquirer

Maurice -

  In short: this concert is fucking phenonemal. Absolutely hands-done brilliant. Staggering in it's beauty.

  An accquaintance reviewed it on Amazon:

          Reviewer:  C. David LaRoche (Halifax, N.S.) - See all my reviews
  The inside of liner notes read: "I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but the music on this recording speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself." Keith Jarret could not have put it any better. This release is far and beyond more complete, more epic than almost anything I have ever heard - certainly a highlight from Jarrett's discography, anyway. Paris, generally concieved as the best Jarret release by Amazon reviewers, seems like passionate but unorganized playing when compared to Vienna. Vienna has a completeness like no other Jarrett recording, from beginning to end it is as if we are a lone tree wethering a terrible storm only to emerge once again, still alive, or perhaps even resurected, back into the glory of sunlight; experiencing death and rebirth; experiencing - witnessing - the true act of musical CREATION. Nothing improvised compares to this - it is absolutely miraculous that such a complete and seemingly
 organized transportation could have emerged from pure improvisation. This is Jarrett's favorite Solo recording, and it is my favorite, along with Bremen-Lausanne, as well. Part 2 remains a Coda of Part I, albeit a powerful one, perhaps the most dark (yet tonal) and entrenched (emotionally) movement Jarrett has ever spawned from his ivories; Undescribable. There is a wholeness to Vienna, an emotional journey - that begins with 00:00 of Part I and finishes with 26:03 of Part II - that is completely unique to this recording. From the Cecil Taylor-inspired percussive frenzy of the storm to Jarrett's final last exhasperation, "Oh!", in the face of what can only be described as musical light breaking through clouds of doom at last, Vienna is a masterpiece of modern art and sure to please; but only if you are willing to listen.

  -It's a keeper.

Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:
  At 4:01 PM -0700 5/11/06, Micah wrote:
>I am picking these two off iTunes tomorrow. So, far the last two
>times I tried I was sidetracked. I ended up getting:
>
> Keith Jarrett's "Vienna" Concert

How is this? I've been on something of a Keith Jarrett kick lately,
picking up some ECM releases and grabbing unreleased shows from Dime.
(The unreleased 1975 Bremen is better than the released '73, in my
opinion, and might have been stricken from the release schedule only
for the odd quote of "Silver Bells.")
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/