Re: (TV) RE: We Need More

I've been living with both albums since release date courtesy of Andy - Thanks!

Both of them have definitely grown on me and i think they are seriously impressive albums. around has become late night listening for me. Mood music for the 'wee sma hours' and love the tones and textures of the guitars with the exception of meteor beach which i detest and invariably skip.

SaOT has improved with every listening. I've not even focused on lyrics yet so am responding to the overall sound at the moment. There are some great tracks here. My favourites currently being:

blue light - love the magisterial weaving guitars with the voice
from her fingers - reminds me a bit of the Velvets crossed with Talking Heads somehow (the Fa fa fa in obvious i know!) the day on you - some listers have got there before me and i suspect this will end up being my favourite track
a stroll - love the background swoops etc on the guitars
the earth is the sky - just a great chord progression. Even a bit of the Dylanesque in here! lovebird asylum seeker - as good a vocal performance from TV as anything and reminds me how much Lloyd Cole stole from TV's delivery. (albeit the latter had some great tracks esp when he had the late Robert Quine on guitar).

However, things change and i find tracks like orbit and documentary becoming more seductive with each listen. Like around i think the guitars sound fantastic, crisp and clean and that sort of weaving tapestry of sound - often quite subtle - that only TV can pull off.

Overall one very happy punter and i think these are solid additions to the Verlaine canon. They do take time to grow into and i'm very much still in that process.

BTW got new Scott Walker LP today - The Drift - so just about to stick that on. Tilt sort of terrified me (11 years ago so his work rate on a par with TV) and i hear this is even more extreme!

Also note the Keith Jarrett noises recently. I used to like him a lot (Arbour Zena on ECM my fav and his stuff with Miles and later Dewey Redman) but increasingly found him a bit bland and soporific. Sounds like i need to check him out again.

Graham

russ wrote:
You know, I couldn't be happier with Songs - and now (just got Around) - and yes, it takes at least one listen to get hooked ,but once hooked well, both of these albums are works of genius. I don't think I'm being too uncritical. I'll work up a more extensive critique of both records soon. Just have to listen a little more. This stuff is 14 years in the making and I think it's been worth the wait.
-Russ

Howard Webb wrote:
Yep, I was a little underwhelmed first time I heard it, but give it a few
listens until the tunes sink in. it's a grower.