Re: (TV) OT: Kids doing King Crimson

On 5/24/06, Russ <russvr@pop.nwnexus.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see what they could do with some Capt Beefheart ...(also
> well represented on YouTube.com)  as well as  , well, Television.
> I'd agree that the kids look a little stiff, but probably  for the
> reasons mentioned , and maybe possibly because Paul Green will kick
> their asses if they screw up. ;-) But seriously, if I had the
> opportunity to learn under these conditions when I was in high school ,
> that would have been nothing short of , as we'd say, killer dude.
> And I actually had my first band when I was 15, and never sounded nearly
> as good. We were lucky if we could get through "Born to be Wild" and
> "Jumping Jack Flash" without numerous glitches.

BWAAAAHHHhahahhahh!  My first public gig was doing "Born to Be Wild" at the
Variety Show in 11th grade (and one dicey original).  Perhaps strangely we
were anything but stiff-- I mean, we were borderline spastic, really, and
while far from tight we did get through the thing, and I got to play a FACE
MELTING SOLO (sic) on those occasions when my amp didn't catch fire (which
was 1/3 of the time).

Coincidentally my girlfriend and I just watched SCHOOL OF ROCK last night.
I'd seen half of it before, during which viewing my dad pointed out that the
lead guitar kid threw his hat into the crowd at the end of the song, which
is exactly what I did at the above-described Variety Show performances...
got it back every time, too.

Kids need to play Branca, is what they need to play.

-Rex