Re: (TV) What are we listening to?

At 9:49 AM -0800 11/29/06, Phil Obbard wrote:
Ultravox. First two albums. I have had the debut for years, but
picked-up the reissues of both of the first two albums a few weeks
ago. There is some fun, late-70s New Wave sound going on here while
John Foxx was still on-board. Not every track stands by itself, but
as a whole both albums are good.

I did have a fondness for these two. The third album has some nice stuff too, though you lose Stevie Shears on guitar (but get Robin Simon). Way better than the Midge Ure era.

Lately I've been listening to Joanna Newsom, both _Milk-Eyed Mender_ and _Ys_--initially I really couldn't get into her voice at all, and found it kind of off-putting, but I also found myself listening over and over again to try to find out whether or not I liked it. As Jay pointed out, "The Sprout and the Bean" is a good way in, and gradually it all clicked.

I'm not entirely convinced on the strings of this one. I think I prefer the more minimal arrangements.

Otherwise, it's been these:

Sun City Girls: _Torch of the Mystics_. Much SCG I've heard doesn't do it for me, but they sure hit a rich seam here.

Morton Feldman: _Coptic Light_, _Patterns in a Chromatic Field_, _Crippled Symmetry_, the Rothko Chapel pieces, and _For Samuel Beckett_. There's something in Feldman's quiet almost-randomness that's really engaging to me right now.

I went through a few days of being obsessed with Shudder To Think's _Pony Express Record_, particularly "X-French Tee Shirt" and "Earthquakes Come Home"--another instance of my not being sure whether or not I liked the vocal delivery at all, but still being hooked.

Terry Riley's _Persian Surgery Dervishes_

Just this afternoon, Chrome's _Alien Soundtracks_ and _Half Machine Lip Moves_--like early Ubu over a badly-tuned shortwave.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/