Re: (TV) joanna newsom--interview in stomp and stammer

At 5:22 PM -0800 11/29/06, Jay wrote:
And as for complaints about Newsom's voice, I will
quote Robert
Christgau's Marquee Moon review: "I know why people
complain about Tom
Verlaine's angst-ridden voice, but fuck that, I
haven't had such intense
pleasure from a new release since I got into Layla
three months after it
came out, and this took about fifteen seconds."

Good point. I'm not saying it's bad--now, her voice is part of the hook for me. But it wasn't something I responded to right away, for whatever reason, and my wife will wearily testify to my tolerance--nay, love for--music sung by unusual voices.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/