Re: (TV) Rush To Judgment / Radiohead

I've gotta say, I rarely if ever post to this TV board and appreciate the views and opinions of those who post regularly. That being said, as a 51 year old white male who grew up in NYC in the prime of the "punk rock" heyday and the music scene that followed, I am more than a bit curious about the comments flying around about Rush. I have never been a fan of any of their music, not could I even name a song of theirs. I'm sure they're great musicians ( I know a fairly well known NYC based bass player who is reverential about their stuff), and know that just 'cause I don't like something doesn't mean it isn't good. BUT, I just never, ever, in any way thought they were cool. And for me, that matters.

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ <russvr@gmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 4:26 pm
Subject: Re: (TV) Rush To Judgment / Radiohead

Ditto, on the Rush "demographic" for me. Back in the high school daze though
I really wasn't into them that much - I associated them bands like Cheap
Trick and Kiss. Back in the 70s all of the "stadium" type bands had to
strike the rock-star postures to some extent. Later on, around , some where
between Hemispheres and Permanent Waves, I got to be more familiar with them
and appreciated them to be "more intellectual" than bands like Styx or
Journey. I had always seen Rush as sort of a Zeppelin sound-alike but that
wasn't a  bad thing. I don't know, I hear a real ethereal rock in them. Sure
- some of their stuff is pretty corny - the 2112 stuff - though super rocked
out at the same time. But I think their hearts are in the right place. Neil
Peart's (I'm afraid to use apostrophes in this group) personal story , his
losing his wife and daughter in one year, is pretty tough. But really it is
about the music for me, the rock-star stuff aside. Disclosure: I was in a
band where the drummer just worshipped the band - and while that should have
turned me against them , it had the opposite effect.