RE: (TV) 2 cents on Rap/dissing Richard.

i dig what yr saying in re: junkies & hell seems to be pretty honest with
what junk did to his trajectory.
& to be perfectly blunt, based on "go now" & "the voidoid", i'd say hell's
an awfully mediocre novelist.
& his poetry's only slightly better.
however, as a rock & roller, he's the shit.
great songs, great phrasing, great look.
i don't need to go into the ramifications & importance of "style" in rock &
roll (i'm a little sick of the postmodernist huffing & puffing that poses as
rock crit these days), but hell had a look & he created it, lived it, sang
it, made it his life.
& the "look" was just as important to yr vaunted jazz scene (particularly
bebop).
the smack was an obnoxious & boring detour & perhaps it derailed hell for
good, but i know that BLANK GENERATION, "don't die" & yeah, even DESTINY
STREET, all contributed to what i am today & they sure as shit showed me
that writers who were tired of the publishing/spoken word scene could make
their words fucking explode.

& from where i stand, verlaine needs a cat like hell to loosen his sphincter
a bit.
Eric S. Gregory
IVR Assistant
egregory@standard.com