Re: (TV) Sweet's picks for guitar, guitarists make a difference

I knew my hypothetical ordering of the three gods of New York might arouse
some interest!  I did that deliberately, actually  ;-).  It's a funny
thing... as a struggling crap guitarist myself, I look at Verlaine and Quine
and say "Jesus, these guys are incredible," but dismiss entirely the idea
that I could ever competently mimic their work, especially the lead parts.
With Lloyd though, I tend to think," what a great part he plays there --
fucking perfect -- I wish I knew TO play that!"  which to me is quite a
different proposition from "I wish I COULD play that."   Esoteric distinction
perhaps, but one I find myself making all the time.
To be honest, Tom Verlaine is like Paganini to me -- an absolute virtuoso,
and with apologies to Andy Gill, hands down my favorite rock instrumentalist
ever.  But I still want to sound like Lloyd!  Odd?  probably....

Andrew

n a message dated 01/28/2000 11:39:47 AM Central Standard Time,