(TV) Keith, Sterling, and Fred "Sonic" Smith

    If the truth be told, Ivan Julian played alot more of the solos on Blank
Generation than one might think. Having not heard the LP in quite some time
I can't remember who plays what. Though, the introduction to Blank alone is
better than most guitar solos. And personally speaking, Keith Richards has
been grossly overlooked as one of Rock's finest guitarists especially
rhythm.
I love his ideals, especially the one "if you can't play the solo on an
acoustic
guitar, then it's probably not worth hearing". Has anyone ver seriously
taken a
listen to Keoth's guitar on "Honky Tonk Woman"? The rhythm of the guitar is
soooo
cool. I melt every time I hear it. It's three minutes of rhythm guitar
bliss.
Let's not forget Sterling Morrison's unique style of rhythm guitar.
Especially
on that live version of "I Can't Stand It" from the La Cave '68 CD. I can
never
get enough of Lou's solo(quite possibly his best ever), but even more is
Sterling's
straight funky rhythm. And let's not forget Fred "Sonic" Smith who could
easily
blow Wayne Kramer out of the water with his soloing. Only Fred had the good
common
sense that had he not played the rhythm the whole bottom would've fallen out
which
it did when Fred did his occasional solo. Any doubter need only to hear one
of the
two Sonic'c Rendezvous Band CD's to hear just how brilliant Fred was on
guitar.
See ya, M T C