Re: (TV) Good guitarists, bad bands

>In defense of Eric Clapton, the boring songwriter, it should be noted that he
>did produce "Layla," a double album of perhaps the most passionate songs of
>unrequited love in history.  Maybe he burned himself out on that one.  But,
>for those of us who have laid back moods and don't want to listen to "Take It
>Easy," E.C.'s "461 Ocean Blvd" LP will do just fine, thanks.  During his tour
>of that record, at the Nassau Coliseum, I remember standing on my seat and
>screaming -- in protest -- "Play Some R&R!!!!"  But I was just a dumb kid.
>Sorry, Eric.
>
>And that blues tour a few years back was a slow burn.
>
>And at that Sheryl Crow thing in Central Park, he MADE A MISTAKE (!!!) on the
>power chords in "White Room."  So he's not God.
>
>Just good.
>
>- Jeff Strell
>
>    Wow, I saw that tour. We're showing our ages. Only I saw the show at
Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, New jersey. This was not a very good night
for old E.C. He was completely(as we use to say) wasted with his eyes at
half mast. He brought Albert King out for Have you Ever Loved a Woman and
then left the stage. Didn't come out for an encore so the audience began
throwing bottles at the stage. One bottle went right through one of the
speaker cabinets. The road crew wouldn't dare come out to tear down the
gear. The booing must've lasted a good half hour. These were not very
good times for Clapton who was fighting a losing battle with alcoholism.
At least he's overcome that obstacle. Another boy who's made some wonderful
music in the 60's and part of the 70's. He owes no one anything. He made
his mark from The Bluesbreakers to Derek & The Dominoes. M T C