(TV) req. for suggestions on repairing CDs

Can anyone relate experiences or opinions on "fixing" scratched CDs?

I recently bought a CD-R copy of Iggy & Stooges "Your Pretty Face Is Going
To Hell" ... what is undoubtedly just one name of one of the many releases
of the same set of demos.  The problem is that it has got plenty of marks
and scratches that set my CD player a clickin' and a skippin'. I bought it
at a store I might not get back to for a while and the CD-R didn't set me
back very much so I might just write it off to experience and be sure to
check the CD closely next time. The fragments of music that I can actually
hear sound wonderful to my ear, and I find the release listed as available
even on CDNow.

So before I give in to the temptation to buy it a second time I'd appreciate
any comments on products or techniques for healing wounded CDs, in general.
Thanks.

Corey