Re: (TV) Record junkies

Hi all fellow music junkies,

Just got through tapping some dope in my veins and groovin to some Grape.
No, seriously, I just purchased Moby Grape's first, as Mike said, and Slow
Dazzle by Cale. Mr. Wilson is a cool song, indeed, beautiful
and melodic, very Eno-like (I also think Chrissie Hynde must have ripped off
this song for "I Hurt You, Cause You Hurt Me", check it out, Mike et al.),
and since I'm groovin to the Beach Boys as of late, it's made for me at this
stage in my life. It also has that feeling like Television's "Careful", my
favorite piece to play unaccompanied on electric. As I said to someone
recently, John Cale is one of the greatest things I didn't know about in the
70's. "Fear" and "Paris 1919" wrapped up? I'd say so, those are two gems all
right. Also just got "Vintage Violence" with all of Dylan's 60's session
guys (Sandy Konikoff, Ernie Brooks, other Tom Wilson era cronies).
"Amsterdam" is a beautiful song. "Slow Dazzle" is an essential album I can
tell after one listen. "Dirty Ass Rock And Roll" is on right now. Makes me
want to score.

Maurice, now that you've gotten the lowdown on "Slow Dazzle", Moby Grape is
another "File under: essential music that somehow eluded me up till now".
Skip Spence and Jerry Miller definitely have a precursor to Television thing
happening, San Francisco psychedelic meets Nuggets. Brilliant. Today in
Subterranean, listening to the Grape with Alex, compatriot in out of print
rock and roll obsession, I mentioned how another classic 60's outfit I was
sorely ignorant of is the Move, and he proceeded to put on the Move's cover
of Moby Grape's "Hey Grandma". Fantastic coincidence, no? "Hey Grandma",
amazing garage rock classic, guitars aplenty, like the Kinks meets the early
Dead w/ Pigpen and the Byrds.

My belated contribution to the garage rock discussion, check out the Moving
Sidewalk's single, "99th Floor"/"What Are You Gonna Do". Billy Gibbons
(later of ZZ Top) 60's band, Texas compatriots to the 13th Floor Elevators
(along with the Lavender Hour - later became the Clique, who have a great
track, "I've Got A Way With Girls.)  Great psychedelic guitar pop. The
Sidewalks toured with the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Hendrix touted Billy
Gibbons as one of his favorite new players! The Shadows of Knight's "I'm
Gonna Make You Mine" is as dangerous a song as you were likely to hear in
66-67, I suppose, like hearing The Stooges doing "I Got A Right" 8 years
early. How must this have sounded next to Jan & Dean? Pretty cool, actually.
The Choir, from Cleveland (later most of the Raspberries) are another
amazing band I can't recommend too highly. "It's Cold Outside" is a great
track, very Byrds/Beatles like. The B-side, "I'm Going Home" is a raunchy
track that would not have been too out of place on "12 x 5" (that's the US
version of the Stone's 2nd LP to all of our mates in the UK). The Turtles,
maybe our version of the Zombies (OK, maybe not that great), did a great
garage song, "Outside Chance" (also covered by Detroit garage band, Sounds
Like Us, whose was first, anybody?) which was penned by then burgeoning
songwriter, Warren Zevon! Also a great band from that era, and from Jersey
no less, was Richard & The Young Lion's, who did 2 monster songs, "Open Up
Your Door" and "You Can Make It". Incredible, rocking, fuzz-toned, melodic
Phil Spector-like gems. Get 'em. Most of this stuff is on the Nuggets box
set. Too many great bands to mention, and they have all the relevance in the
world in a discussion group centered around Television.

Back to trolling the naked city in search of scags and detritus! And filthy
old vinyl records.
Scott