Re: (TV) New Patti Album/Millers Tale cds

Hi all,

--- MICHAEL CARLUCCI <subterraneannyc@mindspring.com> wrote:
>     Philip and I were just listening to it and I don't know if it really
> sounds like 1,000 bluebirds singing. It could've been Lenny kaye or Oliver
> Ray doing the guitar solo. There's no Verlaine signature sound or riff that
> comes thru to indicate that it's Tom. Like to say that we were bowled over
> but we weren't. Nice solo, but again, could've been anyone.

Yeah, the solo could be anyone. I assume the "bluebirds" quote is just repeated
from Patti's mid-70s review of Television. On the upside, the single is
terrific, and probably the most 'accessible' Patti Smith track since DREAM OF
LIFE. I thought "Summer Cannibals" (from GONE AGAIN) also was radio-ready, but
it was at odds (lyrically and emotionally) with much of what women were
performing on "modern and alternative rock" stations in 1996 (Alanis, Tori
Amos, Jewel, et al). "Glitter in Their Eyes" (the new single) sounds much more
on-target for 2000. Gil Norton - who produced, among other things, the Pixies
DOOLITTLE, Belly's STAR, a few Echo & the Bunnymen album - is the producer, and
the sonic effect is evident.

Not like I have any idea what sells on the radio, of course, but I was struck
by the singles "contemporary-ness". Anyhow, I skipped Patti Smith's last album,
but I probably will get this one on the strength of the single.

--Philip