Re: (TV) "live" music

I was in the PA pit at Bowie's last concert in Prague in 1997. Of
course, there was a DAT running. In addition the lighting engineer
had a Roland keyboard plugged into his desk. At points he was
certainly triggering things off. Maybe even playing. I'm not sure.

Now of course Bowie and band were playing live, but a substantial
percentage of guitar lines, keyboards and backing vocals were on
tape. I'd guess around 25%. Probably explains why all the Gabrels
and Garson's "backing vocals" sounded like Bowie singing.

Am I pissed off at this? Not really. There was still enough there to
give it an edge and prevent it becoming formula. Not all songs had
the tape running. Having said this I much prefer Bowie's recent live
performances, where he went back to a more basic live band feel.

As Raymond has suggested there's just no substitute for live
performance.

Cliff