Re: (TV) "live" music

I had heard this about the Zooropa tour, too - I think the same was said of
Steel Wheels.

Certainly Bowie had extra musicians behind/under the stage during the final
Ziggy tour of 1973 - including old friend John Hutchinson - and if you watch DA
Pennebaker's barely-watchable 'farewell' video, I think you'll notice that you
never see the pianist (Mike Garson), either, yet you definitely hear him...
Bowie made almost all of his musicians stand behind a curtain during his 1974
Diamong Dogs tour, too. Nowadays, he definitely uses the occasional backing
tape, generally for backing vocals (e.g., you can hear multiple "Bowies" on
"The Voyeur of Utter Destruction" on OUTSIDE and the effect was reproduced on
tour). When I saw Bjork in 1995, there was a heavy use of backing tapes to
replicate all the effects and synths from her albums.

Backing tapes don't bother me that much - or at least not nearly as much as
post-concert overdubbing for live albums, which further serves to make live
performances sound just like studio performances (and thereby further reduce
their value and/or interest to me...)

--Philip