Re: (TV) "live" music

Hmmm. I feel the other way, really. If people are playing along to
backing tapes, they're never going to generate a really spontaneous
performance or create anything new in concert. But if they put overdubs
on a live recording, at least they're starting with something that might
have been created at the gig. It's something Neil Young does a lot, and
I think it often works quite well -- in fact a lot of the tracks on some
of his 'studio' albums are basically live concert recordings with a few
overdubs and the applause taken out (a lot of 'Rust Never Sleeps' for
instance).
Also, the purists may hate me for this, but I know I'd listen to 'The
Blow Up' a lot more if Tom Verlaine's live vocals had been replaced in
the studio!
Sam