Re: (TV) Major labels....recent coms

    Good point(s)here from Raymond. Nothing like experience, eh? The only
artist or band that I can think of that had the good sense not to allow any
of the promotional shinnanigans to go on was Robert Fripp and his band King
Crimson. You'll never find a promotional poster or LP for these guys. It was
Fripp's own doing that they didn't want to incur any financial debt to
Atlantic so no promotion for us thank you. I seem to remember the 1st
LP(oops! there goes my age) getting tones of airplay on the old WNEW FM with
In The Court of the Crimson King and 21st Century Schizoid Man. I don't know
if the station actually went out and bought the LP or if the label
themselves sent out the LP at their own expense. I do know that Fripp has
never incurred any debt for promotional purposes. Hats off to Robert Fripp
for standing his ground and making a statement, too bad no one else had the
good sense to follow his cue.

    On the Clive comments. He was always willing to stand behind the artists
that he believed in. Lou Reed never made any money for Arista. He had total
artistic freedom and Clive never once threatened to oust him from the label.
He believed in Lou and felt that the quality of his work would one day make
people one day take notice. This of course never happened. It was Lou who
became disgruntled with Arista and asked to be released from his contract. I
recall at one of the many shows Lou did at NYC's Bottom Line, where Lou
looked Clive in the eyes and asked "Where my money". What money, he never
sold any records while with Arista. As I recall each LP sold less than the
one before. I personally am not a big fan of Lou's Arista years. I love
Street Hassle and for personal reason hold a place in my heart for "Rock &
Roll Heart" though I wouldn't say that it was up to snuff. Take No Prisoners
is a good comedy LP and Growing Up In Public had great lyrics, however,
Michael Fonfara should not have been allowed to write any music for Lou.
You'd think after all those years of working with the guy he'd of had some
sort of idea where Lou was coming from musically. Always one of Lou's
biggest problems, finding musicians who are sympathetic to Lou's style.

    Thanks for the space all. M T C