(TV) Doctors of Madness

Nothing to do with Television but a quick summary of possibly the most
underrated/misunderstood band of all time.

DoM were formed sometime in the seventies and first played a lot in the
underground - squats in Twickenham etc. They then produced 3 albums before
breaking up in about 1980. The music is strange - some of it very melodic,
great lyrics "Marie's telling Joe - he left my breakfast on a mirror, with a
blade but not a word why's he's gone", some of it very desolate, even
dreary. A friend of mine has described them as like the Velvet Underground
but in colour. Some of the later stuff was almost punk, Dave Vanian from the
Damned joined as an additional vocalist for a while, and TV Smith from the
Adverts co-wrote some songs and played with the band at the last gig.

The first two albums are the best because the have beautiful violin solos
from Urban Blit (probably not his real name). Late Night Movies has some
brilliant songs but also a couple of dirges, Figments of Emancipation is
more melodic and even. Some of Richard Strange's solo stuff is pretty good
too, particularly 2 singles, International Language and Damascus. He then
became an actor and appeared in Men Behaving Badly and a few films.

Live, they were chaotic and occasionally brilliant

On the sleeve of Late Night Movies is the phrase "This record is to be
played with the gas full on"

Jeremy