Re: (TV) Test Patterns

g grant <grntg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Fortuneatly for us all, the recent hidden taxes placed
> on cassette, mini disc and cdr's are going to the
> record companies

I beat them on this one - the computer CD-Rs are considered
different from the "music" CD-Rs.  The stereo component CD-Rs
are apparently gimmicked to only accept the music CD-Rs which
are, of course, more expensive than the "data" CD-Rs.  I urge
people all the time to avoid these stereo CD-R units since they
funnel this money over to the labels.  Right, like I want to
help some asshole buy a new Porsche.  If you own a computer,
get the computer CD-R unit and make the disks that way.

> OK, here goes my full rant...perhaps if record
> companies would quit releasing albums having one or
> two good tunes while the rest of the cd is pure shit,
> places like napster wouldnt be necessary.

Is this the label's fault or the fact that many popular
recording artists (sic) aren't capable of more than one or two
good songs?  I really don't think that any of the CDs I've
bought in the last 2 weeks had a great song withheld because
the label wanted to keep it for the next album, but I wasn't
buying the same slop as most of the CD-buying public.  No
N'Sync, no Britney (Her moron mother couldn't even spell
Brittany, I guess) and no Eminem for me, thanx.  What did I
get?  The new Lou Reed, King Crimson and XTC disks, and a
copy of Easter to get primed for the sow last Saturday.

The labels are scared shitless this time because they know
their function (such as it is) is going to have to change radically
in the next 5-10 years, and they don't have clue 1 as to how to
deal with it.  Instead, they'll litigate, thinking they can kill
stuff like Napster the same way they killed DAT.  That pissed me
off, BTW, because the DAT units that could have helped struggling
bands produce better sounding tracks more cheaply were squashed.
Recorded that wonderful show last week and you want to make copies?
Oops, the decks won't let you make a copy because you might be
making an illegal copy of the new NKOTB record.

Feh.  They'll all be the first up against the wall when the
revolution comes.  (Thanks, Doug A.)