(TV) Re: REM

----- Original Message ----- Jeremy wrote:
On another subject, I bought a few old REM CDs which I only had on vinyl.
They're great, especially Life's Rich Pageant - Where did they go wrong ???

"Shiny happy people" was a fair warning sign that things were going
seriously awry but i thought "Automatic for the people" was/is the real
nadir of their career-a depressing pile of AOR/ Christopher Cross-esque
cack -although very slickly marketed...millions disagreed with me of course
and bought it by the bucketload proving HP Barnum's dictum that there is
indeed "a sucker born every minute" -I mean why ignore the likes of
"Murmur", "Reckoning", "Green" or "Pageant" (their finest hour) for this
bollocks?

I do feel they're finally back on track once more however with their latest
"UP" record which I heartily recommend and which contains at least two of
the finest songs they've ever written IMHO-namely "suspicion" and "at my
most beautiful".Without Stipe's unique imagery and vocal/lyrical dexterity I
always wonder how they'd fare all the same- they'd probably seem like an
average bar band at best....