(TV) sacrilege

Hmm, I think I misspelled sacrilege, anyways...

I arrived home late last night from vacation that
involved 40 plus hours in the car and I noticed that
in the cd's I brought along, not a single Verlaine or
Television or Lloyd made the trip this time.  I think
I may have hit saturation!  Glad to hear new stuff
from Lloyd is on it's way.  Kristofersion tribute, eh?
 I hate to admit it but I am not overly thrilled about
one tune in 6 or 7 years, bring on those 2 or 3
unreleased albums for gosh sakes!

One thread that caught my interest was the mp3
continuance...another way to make $ off of mp3's is to
set-up one's own site, let your tunes be downloaded
for free and sell advertising that pays you for every
download or site hit.  Bigger name artists could
probably make a ton off of this type of marketing,
fully eliminating the record co.  Besides which, close
to studio perfect albums can be made dirt cheap now
who needs that advance to hit a real studio?

One other observation about how the internet has
changed the way I buy music: I used to buy a lot of
records, then cd's based on a cool cover, song titles,
etc.  This has worked out great or has been an
incredible waste of money.  Now if I see something
that strikes my eye, I check out their mp3 or sample
on the net first.  If they have a minimum of 3 or 4
good tunes, I'll buy it.  If not, I've saved myself
some cash for a better purchase.

One last rant, I used to pick up a lot of stuff by
local artists when on vacation (being a DIY musician I
tend to support others doing the same thing) but the
last couple of trips I noticed that local artist cd's
are priced the same as commercial artists, whether
they are selling them from the stage or in stores.  I
mean, it's great to see they have a cd but I am not
about to pay an = value for some no-name and, if a kid
has a choice between dropping $16 on the new Korn cd
or the Cos Filane "This is it!" cd, I think Cos is
simply SOL.  Personally (though I am no longer a kid)
I bought the new Jeff Buckley live.

Greg (who probably has not had enough sleep since the
last 20 hour stretch of highway and woke up cranky)