Re: [RE: (TV) MM Vinyl v. CD/"5 Miles of You"/Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous"]

    I can't believe I'm about to defend a CD. Well here it goes, have any of
you actually listened to MM CD in headphones? It sounds incredible. More
than Verlaine, Lloyd did lots of doubling of his guitar parts which is how
MM gets it's chimey sound. What I didn't realize until I hear the CD of it
was that the guitar parts are split from left to right which is more obvious
on the CD version, the guitars are so clean. The bizarre thing is that the
2nd parts that Lloyd laid down keep going in and out so that there's
doubling and then it's gone and just before you notice that the 2nd guitar
is gone it's back again. The songs that stand out most in my mind are Venus,
Prove It, and Elevation. For me, MM is a record that was made for CD. There
are lots of those little guitar parts that somehow are not heard on the
vinyl. If any of you have headphones check out those 3 tracks on LP and CD
and see if you can hear what I'm talking about. It made the album that much
more important to me. I never realized just how much thought went into the
production end. Sure the Beatles did lots of those doublings for George
Harrison's guitar parts(Ticket To Ride,Nowhere Man) but they were never as
intricate as Lloyd's parts. So while I love the vinyl version of MM for all
it's warmth, so do I love the CD version for it's clarity. Perhaps it was
always there on the vinyl, but it was the CD that made me aware of it. M T C