From: Casey, Leo J [mailto:CaseyL@volpe.dot.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 10:03 AM
To: 'tv@obbard.com'
Subject: RE: (TV) Howdy / Kinks

I saw the Kinks live at Boston's old Orpheum Theater (the two opening acts
were Todd Rundgren his The Hello People[?],  and The Jeff Beck Group) when
they were touring to promote Muswell Hillbillies in 1973, I think. It was a
great show; Ray sang most of the set drinking beer from cans!  When he sang
"Alcohol" he was spilling it all over the himself and the stage.  I've
always wondered if this was part of a shtick and he was actually just
slurping down spring water.

Saw Jeffrey Lee Pierce and The Gun Club perform a whole set drunk at The
Channel--- but to paraphrase Shakespeare the musical performance suffered

Leo

Velvel?

> I've got almost all of both, just missing a few of the mid-70s albums and
LIVE
> AT KELVIN HALL from the 60s reissues. All in all, they are pretty nice -
> although the music is much patchier in the 70s/80s, they (the Velvel
reissues)
> are the better reissues in terms of packaging/liner notes/bonus material,
> unearthing some great rarities (the original "Preservation" single, which
is
> better than both of the albums with the same name, both of the outtakes on
the
> excellent MUSWELL HILLBILLIES, some of the extra stuff on SLEEPWALKER inc.
> "Prince of the Punks", etc).
>
> The 60s reissues are pretty good too - several key albums are restored to
mono
> (including VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY), and a few rarities and
> alternate mixes are unearthed (including the entire 12-track stereo
version of
> VILLAGE GREEN). My only major complaint is that they omitted a few key
tracks
> (e.g., "She's Got Everything", "Did You See His Name?", and almost all of
the
> stuff that first appeared on THE GREAT LOST KINKS ALBUM, like the VILLAGE
GREEN
> outtakes "Misty Water", "Lavender Hill", and "Rosemary Rose", etc) for no
clear
> reason - definitely not CD space.
>
> Also, for some reason, the US versions of the 60s reissues have NO bonus
> material! Ack! I think there was a licensing problem, but fortunately, the
UK