From: Noah Lopez [mailto:noahl@U.Arizona.EDU]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 10:34 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Amazon.com has a prodigal son

I wasn't ever turned off by Tom Verlaine's voice, but it took me
a little bit to get into "Marquee Moon". I think my first
reactions to the record were that it was too "noodly" and
dense...I actually bought and sold the CD (sorry vinyl
purists!) a number of times trying to get into it. Eventually I
found little snippets floating around in my head and the next
time I listened to the album it was like seeing sunlight for the
first time after years of darkness.

I had the same relationship with "Dreamtime" also, dating back to
when I first checked it out of the public library when I was in
high school.

Noah

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Philip P. Obbard wrote:

> A recent review of MARQUEE MOON on Amazon.com:
>
> Title: "Retracting my previous flippant dismissal, October 19, 2000"
> Reviewer: rebelwaltz (see more about me) from California
>
> I've never done this before, but I have so thoroughly changed my mind
about
> this album that I felt compelled to post another review and right my
hideous
> wrong. I gave it 2 stars and lambasted Verlaine's voice. However I've now
> listened to it about 10 straight times through giant headphones and
Verlaine's
> voice has grown on me to the point where it is no longer grating, allowing
the
> unbelievably fantastic guitar interplay to come to the forefront where it
> belongs.
>
> Absolutely a milestone record, and far better than Blondie (I'm sorry, I'm
so
> sorry!) The title track is one of the few songs in all of rock and roll,
> alongside such esteemed company as the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again and
Dylan's
> Desolation Row, which justifies being very long with its incredible guitar
> interplay. This is one of the most underappreciated records in history and
> deserves the same retrospective seminal cult status as VU + Nico and Big
Star's