(TV) Intro to TV

----- Original Message -----
> >--How many times did you
> >--have to hear MM before it kicked in?

straightaway...i never had the problem with Verlaine's voice that a lot of
others seem to have had-i suppose it was because i was so dazzled by
the guitars initially to really take much notice of it...but then...slowly
but surely...the lyrics/wordplay/imagery began to worm its way
into my subconscious....

I think, like Cliff, I first heard TV on John Peel's programme-God it was
such essential listening back then-something amazing to take your breath
away
every night it was broadcast-great memories-what a shame he never got
the band in to do a session....a real missed opportunity i'd say....

It's amazing all the same to think how in '76 Peel's programme suddenly
changed from playing something like "Rose of Cimmaron" by country rock
band Poco (!!!-one night i distinctly remember him playing the guitar solo
from that record TWICE in a row) -to "Blitzkreig bop".....
Not surprisingly he very quickly started to get threatening letters from
befuddled hippies-
really it should never be forgotten or underestimated how revolutionary that
first Ramones
record sounded in 76.In retrospect i think that really prepared me for
hearing Television later on-that,
the Velvets and "Catch a fire" by the Wailers -another amazing,totally
revolutionary- sounding record ....

Currently listening to the just -released Magazine boxset "maybe it's
alright to be nervous now"-can't recommend it highly enough-it features one
of my guitar heroes John McGeogh playing his heart out-some of his stuff is
SO TV-influenced-anyone else out there think that?...man what a fantastic
band they
were!

Also a big plug for the Cousteau cd and the Marc Ribot and the Prostethic
Cubans stuff.....very coooool.....very wonderful indeed....