Re: (TV) Intro to TV

----- Original Message -----
From: Forster, Michael H. <michael.forster@unisys.com>
To: 'Television List' <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 4:25 AM
Subject: (TV) Intro to TV

> --How many times did you
> --have to hear it before it kicked in?

Sorry to be a bit late on this.

Living in Sydney the Radio Station Double Jay (Now TripleJ) started
broadcasting in 1975 playing Bowie/Floyd/Zep/ Roxy/  etc. By mid - late 76
they were playing a lot of Patti Smith and Springsteen.  They also started
focussing more on Australian music and started featuring live to air
concerts recorded at venues around Sydney and Australian singles and albums
(when available) by bands like Radio Birdman and the Saints (still an
exception rather than the rule at this stage).  In late 76 I  started
reading about New York punk, TV, Ramones, as well as Sex Pistols etc at this
time.  I had heard the Ramones and expected Television to sound like them
(after all they were NY punks weren't they?).

Double Jay started playing Marquee Moon as soon as it was released.  I used
to listen to the radio as background while studying.  The first few times I
heard it I had no idea who the hell it was but what really hit me were those
hypnotic guitars.  It was about the third time I heard it that I realised it
was this 10 minute track with lyrics at the front end and heard them
announce it was Television.   It was absolutely amazing and was nothing like
what I was expecting.  I had to have the album and went out and bought the
it straight away.  I was completely absorbed into this record (still am?).
I did not have problems with Tom's voice at all and in fact it was only when
I tried to get others into the album and they commented on his voice that I
realised that some people might have problems with it . But for me it was
one of those moments you remember all your days.

Sorry to ramble

Alan