(TV) McGeoch/ Magazine

----- Original Message -----
From: Cliff McLenehan <klif@volny.cz>
> > Currently listening to the just -released Magazine boxset "maybe it's
> > alright to be nervous now"...

> What's it like? I was thinking of getting it, assuming I can find it in
> this country, but was put off a bit by the track-listing.

it's essential listening i think and very reasonably priced considering it's
three discs worth of material...

>Too much  from that post-McGeoch live album.

Yeah I know but even though he's not on there those live versions still
sound great.I had deliberately stayed away from "play" up until now but i
was knocked out by how tight the band were even then....personally i'm
really very happy that they had the good sense not to include too much from
the second and fourth records-extremely dull,mediocre fare when compared to
the superlative debut "Real life' and 3rd disc "The correct use of soap".
Also I'd forgotten what a great,unhinged saxophone player McGeoch was....

>I would have preferred the Peel
> sessions to have been released seperately. Cheaper on the wallet.

as i say for three discs it's actually tremendously good value...the only
gripe i would have is that they could have included some decent sleeve notes
for people who don't know a lot about the band...though this is probably
quite deliberate- Devoto very much wants Magazine to remain an enigma I
would say.

There are these gems to enjoy all the same from the accompanying booklet:
one-an
excerpt from the press release for "shot by both sides" which describes the
debut 45 as being about "where the Kray twins meet the Buddha in the
marketplace";
and two-the final sentence of same press release-"Their popularity will
depend upon the real state of the nation".

> McGeoch was/is a great guitar player. The Magazine stuff is
> superb and his Banshees work is truly phenomenal, particularly on
> the Juju and Dreamhouse albums. Sadly, over the last few years
> he seems to be another who's not made the best of his talents.

I think you can chart his gradual decline from the period when the Banshees
dispensed with his services so abruptly-it seemed so harsh and unfair at the
time to me as he was still really young -such a total lack of compassion
from ole dame Susan...(but what can a poor ice maiden do???)....seems
particularly
fitting to me all the same that they could never find a decent replacement
thereafter to fill his shoes....(i'd be interested to hear if Severin ever
had any regrets about the sacking though...)

back to you then Cliff...btw have you or anyone else seen Billy Elliott yet?
Recommend it wholeheartedly -chock full of Marc B.tunes - that should get
another
generation hooked on the Groover - interesting to see that whole period
of the miner's strike in the north of England portrayed onscreen -i was on
the road
during that time and sometimes playing the worst affected areas-as well as
doing our share
of benefit gigs- grim days indeed ...the movie
actually has contemporary resonance in the case of
"superscab" Liz Hurley though doesn't it ???