Re: (TV) Amazon.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip P. Obbard"
BN.com has *also* prevented
> its employees from unionizing. Yet I don't hear anyone bashing BN (except
my
> girlfriend, who works for them), or rallying against them in Seattle.
Instead,
> I see internet petitions against Amazon! It's like missing the forest for
the
> trees.

In my experience - and my last job was a union gig - the only thing that
prevents employees from unionizing is the employees, who in most cases are
just too damn lazy and well off to give a rat's posterior.  Also, I don't
think Barnes and Noble is asking employees to work unpaid, nor do they
evangelize their company like it's the second coming of Scientology (and
doesn't that sound scary?).

Did Sears crush all the mom-n-pop stores? Hardly -
> Sears has narrowly avoided bankruptcy in this past decade. (As my friend
used
> to say about his own company, "I'm afraid we're going to turn into Sears -
> doing lots of things, but not doing any of them well.")

Granted, Sears almost bit the big one, however, Home Depot and Wal-Mart are
other stories.  A Home Depot opened here not far from where I live - now the
local hardware store is holding it's 90% off inventory reduction/quitting
business sale.

As an aside... I find the Seattle protests very odd. They were more
virulent, and got more attention, than protests now over the US election.

Are you referring to the anniversary protests two weeks ago?  They weren't
anything near approaching violent - the police went out of their way to be
cooperative and took a lot of crap (I was downtown that day) they didn't
deserve.  The protesters had use of the street till 9 PM - then a small
minority refused to move.  However, it looked like dynamite on TV, all the
flashing lights and uniforms and stuff, didn't it?  First rule of TV
journalism is "Lead with the fire - or the closest thing to one."  By the
way, we have pro-Bush/Gore protesters in Westlake Center (the downtown
retail core) every day - the only reason you don't see them is because
they're fairly well mannered for being so obnoxious.
And the final irony - I have an interview at Nordstrom.com tomorrow.