Re: (TV) ESG

you've got it.
4 latino sisters from nyc with a guitar playing cousin...the
ladies sing & play percussion & write unbelievably cool &
minimal funk grooves that are also great songs bout matter
of fact issues involving romance, work, etc from a woman's
point of view...but it ain't overly intellectualized a la
raincoats, etc...
martin hannett produced an ep back round 1980 & there was a
cd comp released early mid 90s of all the early material (2
eps & a fulllength in 82).
the grooves are very simple & repetitive in the best
possible way...think early hiphop backing tracks....the
hannett stuff is wild cos he takes these basic hypnotic funk
grooves & runs em thru delays & other effects...
they were big in the hipper clubs in the early 80s & i don't
think there's ever been another band quite like em
since....luscious jackson's earlier stuff was somewhat
influenced by em & the beasties were/are big fans.
remember liquid liquid (who wrote the bassline used in
grandmaster flash's "white lines")???
labelmates of esg, tho esg were the whole cream to liquid
liquid's half & half...
blah blah blah...wish i could take out my cassettes of em &
play em for you right now...i've got their early tracks
compiled on one side of a 90 minute b/w suicide's first &
it's a massive listening experience....