(TV) Young, Dead, Eagles (what a great name for a band!), Verlaine

Re:  The Eagles - I cite Mojo Nixon's immortal "Don Henley Must Die," and
having cited it, feel compelled to note that in the December '86 Musician
article, Richard said he saw Don Henley, who was "really good" - and that
his use of a female bass player was partial inspiration for his female
rhythm guitarist (that, and she could play).
Re: Verlaine and Young's guitar styles - about the only similarity I can
find is the use of spastic vibrato and really WIDE bends; Young is pretty
much a pentatonic player while Verlaine works more out of modes.  Young
pretty much goes to the 6th string root of the progression and works that
box to death; Tom is pretty much all over the fretboard.  Anyone remember
that NPR interview where Tom spoke of seeing Young and being astounded that
he (Young) could put so much feeling into material ten and twenty years old?
RE: Television = punk Grateful Dead.  This was used both as a compliment
("Wow, man, they jam like - like the Dead!") and pejorative ("An ill-natured
hippie band, pure and simple," from an issue of Creem).  I despise the Dead
almost as much as the Eagles (and I REALLY despise the Eagles), but they
were one of the few bands that went out there and took chances with their
material, even if to me, they took far too long to go nowhere.  With
Television, even on the nights they were less than stellar, you got the
feeling that at least there was a point to it all.  It's kind of hard to
believe now, but there was a time when seeing a band live didn't mean
hearing the record reproduced note for note - I always felt Television
carried on in this tradition.
RE: Ice Cream Flavor "A Mile (of Rocky Road) From You."
I'll stop now.