Re: (TV) the Wonder

Ooooh, Ray, I'm going to have to take exception to this. Caveats: Sure, the drum machine on Cover is awful. Yup, Tom's voice is pretty strange on Words, and both of them have some massive sibilance in places. But I submit these arguments for these records:

* The extremely hot guitar playing on "Present Arrived"
* The ultra-classic song, "Postcard from Waterloo"--not only is the song perfect, but the solo exhibits a breathtaking balance between tenderness and fire. * "Words from the Front" itself, with its archetypal displays of Verlaine's tension-and-release solo construction, with the emphasis on tension. (How 'bout that great pedal point, huh? Huh?) * And while probably all of us would also point to the rocker "Coming Apart," I'd also cast a vote for the comparatively lush, heartbreaking "True Story" and the stripped down tension of "Clear It Away" (Sounds like he _erased_ guitar parts, or at least way, way undermixed 'em. That's punk spirit for you.)

Cover has its moments as well:
* The atmospherics of "Five Miles of You" and its echoing solo that scales the heights and plumbs the depths, announcing to all and sundry that, make no mistake, this is _Tom_Verlaine_ playing.
* The almost cubist romantic new wave of "Travelling"
* "O Foolish Heart," a great song that rises way above an awful drum machine.
...and the other tunes in aggregate.

Both those albums are way nearer to my heart than _The Wonder_. I'll agree, though, that "Prayer" was a fine bright spot on that disc.

Is it an argument, or mere contradiction?  You decide.
-Maurice